Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Three Happy Stories

Here are three happy/not sad stories about things I like/ am interested in.

I like sugar and I am a bit of a snob about it. I turn up my nose at saccharine substitutes and sweeteners. I always give Anna a disapproving look if she tries to save a few nickels by purchasing fake brown sugar. That being said, I always feel a twinge of guilt buying it because of the sugar lobby. They are the most aggressive commercial lobby in the U.S. and are making sweet money off of tax payers. The sugar companies pay big bucks to get loyal members of congress elected. The government consistently passes quotas that push prices in the U.S. up to about 2 to 3 times what the world free market value is. This is also bad for American companies that shut down business instead of paying for higher sugar prices. I think I am going to start buying those cones of sugar in the clear plastic baggies in the Mexican aisles. I haven't ever tried those, and they are probably good. Happiness!

I also like bugs and I spent the better part of an hour looking at pictures of bugs on the internet at this site. It is really cool, and it makes me want to check out a bug/spider identification book from the library. It is a site where people have mailed in pictures they have taken of different bugs, spiders, and flying things. Then entomologists identify them and tell a little bit about each one. Who would have thought that bugs could ever be interesting?

I have to admit that lately I have considered liking Star Trek. I haven't ever watched any of it, and I have never found it interesting until recently. It has always seemed like prime dork material to me. Like it was an excuse to be dorky. Its appeal has been so unfathomable to me for so long that I want to try it out and see what it is like. I have been taking this pretty seriously for at least a week now, and then I saw on the Drudge Report today that someone is remaking a movie of it with some big name actors. I think I'll wait on that and try it out old-school first. I really don't know where to start. I guess I'll google it and see if there are any episodes online.
I feel a bit like a golden investigator. I have heard enough about Star Trek to get myself interested, and I am going into it with no pre-conceived notions. I'll give it a fair shot and see how it goes. I don't know if any of my readers (I speak to the seven of you who are my registered blog followers) are Trekkies (and if you prefer to keep it secret, that's ok, I totally understand as I would mock you if I hadn't just written this blog) but if you are and are willing to make yourself known, do you have any recommendations on how I should start?

Also, if you are reading this blog and you are not a follower, I urge you to become one. I will show my appreciation by sending out christmas cards and holding raffles for sweet stuff. The first one is being held tomorrow for everyone that committed to shaving their armpits in response to last week's post (Lisa, Nathan, and Alison so far). I will officially leave the commitment period open until tomorrow night when I write my next blog, at which point I will have decided on a sweet raffle prize or two and congratulate the winners and participants. Anna? You live with me and I know you shave your armpits. Why don't you commit and enter yourself for a sweet prize and a complimentary ice-cream sandwich? That just leaves Bridget, Bryan, and Katie as my undecided followers. Commitments any of you? Ice cream sandwich? Raffle entry?
[editor's note: the raffle requires the participant to be a registered follower of this blog. A commitment for an ice cream sandwich does not require you to follow the blog. If you prefer not to follow, at least claim and ice cream sandwich. I'm even willing to waive the commitment if you will write a two paragraph essay on the virtues of armpit shaving in your own words.]

So there are my three happy stories. Now I feel like I can share the sad moment of my day.
The GenderAnalyzer. It is a program that reviews a blog and has some artificial intelligence device to determine the gender of the author. Also, it is stupid.

It says that I am 55% woman, but quite gender neutral. Dang it.
How do you all fare?

7 comments:

Anna said...

1. I am 60% male according to genderanalyzer, but since I have only written on my blog today, I figure it means that I am 60% male today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

2. I'm not the biggest fan of ice cream in the winter. Can it be a brownie sandwich? They are easy to make, you just take two brownies to act as the bread of the sandwich, then put one brownie in the middle. What I am saying is, if there is an alternate prize I am in, if not then I refuse to admit whether I shave my armpits or not. It's your word against my stubborn silence.

Anna said...

P.S. I don't like tootsie roll pops either.

ali said...

YAY!
i am 89% woman!

Bridget said...

I'm 55% female. Phew! That was close.

Does it make you feel better that genderanalyzer is only right 54% of the time?

I thought I was disqualified from the shaving armpits thing seeing as I already do it, but if there's an ice cream sandwich to be had, I'm IN.

Bryan Lewis said...

dang it. i'm 54% woman. what does that even mean? do they look at content or style? i'm a little disturbed by this, especially since i don't shave my armpits.

Nathan said...

I am 73% man according to the internet. But 100% man according to myself, due to my manly stunts and rugged muscle tone.

Lisa Lou said...

I just spent some time looking at the bug website and now I'm all itchy and kind of grossed out. It's pretty cool though.