Monday, August 9, 2010

A marathon

I have been planning to run a marathon since January. I was told in January that I wouldn't enter Basic Training until September, so I decided to set lots of goals to help pass the time. One of them was to run 100 mile before Josie was born, which I accomplished. Another was to max out on the Army's sit-ups and push-ups, which I definitely did not accomplish.
Next Saturday is my chance to run a marathon, which I hope I will accomplish. My route is set up so that if I don't accomplish it, it means I have not made it back home. You should know that this is not an organized event. It will entail me getting up at 4am and running 13.1 miles away from home and then coming back again. I was talking about it to Mom and she said that I should write about it. She said she would sponsor me if I wrote about it. SO i am going to write posts from today to September 13 or 14 (I don't know what time I have to report on the 14th) and in exchange she will make me a t-shirt and buy me some of those energy-electrolyte jelly beans.
She didn't know what they were, but I have always wanted to try them so I made her add them to the deal.
I think this run is going to hurt pretty bad. I was getting pretty good at my half-marathon time in April (while I was finishing up the last of my 100-miles-before-Josie-gets-born goal) but I have done very little long distance running since. Nothing over 6 miles in fact. The good news is that as long as I finish, I will have gotten first place. And because I am leaving at 4am, even if I was to walk the whole thing with my hands in my pockets, I could probably be home before noon. But I am hoping to get below 4 hours, and also to not collapse from dehydration. I only know of one drinking fountain along the way. I suppose I could drop off water bottles the day before on my bike. That is a pretty good idea actually.
Well, wish me luck.

5 comments:

Lisa Lou said...

I was kind of shocked to see this pop up on my Google Reader. But I am so impressed. You could strap water bottles to you in some fashion, or I like the idea of dropping off bottle along the route. You should have Anna hide them, so it's like a game. I'm also excited that you are going to be writing more, because you are very funny and I was shaking silently whilst reading this. Trying not to snort at work.
I love you and good luck! And those beany-things are really tasty. Sometimes I want to eat them for a snack, but that's probably not the best idea. And so lucky that mom is going to make you a shirt! Haha!

Anna said...

Lisa writes really good comments.

I like the idea of hiding water bottles for Chris.

Kathy Haynie said...

This is soooo cool! Good luck Chris! Be sure to post about how it all goes. I'm anxious to read about it. I've missed your blog posts.

Bridget said...

Good luck!!!

Patricia said...

Okay, the "official" sponsor here....
Yea!! that you're writing again, Chris! I miss reading your writing, and I'm so glad you agreed to the deal we made.
I told him that he had to write every day between now and when he reports to duty....
So, I got a cheapo shirt, we all came up with a cool name for his marathon and I kind of designed it, but not really. Then, I asked David to do the writing on the actual shirt because he could do a much better job than I could.
I thought about doing something with colors and different fabrics and such (kind of like what Katie might do), but then I realized we better get it done before we came back to VA because we've got a lot going on here this week and I probably wouldn't get it finished and mailed to him in time. (Sorry for the rambling comment).
Anyway, David designed a great shirt and "sharpied" it and everything before we left. We even got pictures of Chris modeling it (giggle,giggle,ha,ha, snort)..which are on my camera so we'll post them when he says we can.
Well, GOOD LUCK Chris! And we're all glad you're back on the interweb again.